Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Years Resolution Part 2

Get right with God, before you try to fix your problem

I can't expect to stay true to my New Years resolutions unless I get right with God, dive deep into His Word, and continuously pray for help.  I am sure I am not the only person that has noticed that attitude and character changes for the best when Christ is put on. I have noticed in myself that when I am spiritually fit, I am a better person all around: Christ shows through me. 

I  Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praisedwell on these things. 1 Peter 4:8

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23

Let others see Christ in Us

 I have a really good story called "One Ugly Hillbilly" in a previous post called "A Merry Heart". It is really worth reading. How much more attractive are people who have their minds set on things from above: who are not living for the world, those who display Christ daily in their lives? I want to put away my bad qualities and focus on what is worthy. I would rather be attractive on the inside then have a morsel of beauty on the outside. I want wholeheartedly to please my Lord.  

 Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven. Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to SET A MAN AGAINST HIS FATHER, AND A DAUGHTER AGAINST HER MOTHER, AND A DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AGAINST HER MOTHER-IN-LAW;  and A MAN’S ENEMIES WILL BE THE MEMBERS OF HIS HOUSEHOLD. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.  And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it." Matthew 10:32-29

Let our conduct be worthy of Christ

This is a very serious matter. This kinda reminds me of another previous post called "True Worship".  I need to put on Christ daily, and worship His holy name in the ways He finds pleasing according to His Word.
I need to always have a Christ like attitude. You never know who is watching, and taking note of your actions. I don't know how many times I have heard this story: "You say you are a Christian, but you act like that?!" In putting on Christ; that new nature which is being renewed after the image of God, we become clothed with the character which shines in God Himself.

Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God.  When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.  Therefore consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry. For it is because of these things that the wrath of God will come upon the sons of disobedience,  and in them you also once walked, when you were living in them. But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth. Do not lie to one another, since you laid aside the old self with its evil practices, and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created hima renewal in which there is no distinction between Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave and freeman, but Christ is all, and in all. So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful. Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father. 
Colossians 3: 1-17

Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or remain absent, I will hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mindstriving together for the faith of the gospel; in no way alarmed by your opponents—which is a sign of destruction for them, but of salvation for you, and that too, from God.  
Philippians 1:27-28

 So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure. Do all things without grumbling or disputing; so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I will have reason to glory because I did not run in vain nor toil in vain. But even if I am being poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I rejoice and share my joy with you all. You too, I urge you, rejoice in the same way and share your joy with me. 
Philippians 2:12-18


Taking off sin, and putting on what is good is easier when you hold on to God's unchanging hand.




1 comment:

  1. Rachel, in everything you do, “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:16) It is so refreshing to see a young person with such a beautiful Christian spirit. There is a good old saying that says, “You may be the only Bible that some people will ever read.” Christ in you may be the hope of glory for many others.

    ReplyDelete