Thursday, December 29, 2011

New Years Resolutions

Matthew 7:3-5“Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? “Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ and behold, the log is in your own eye? “You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye."


These verses have really been  speaking to me lately. I realize I have blind spots that obviously I don't notice, and I also notice "not so blind spots" that I know I need to work on, as it is not a good quality to hold. I have been thinking very hard lately about my follies and working on improving them. So here is a list of what I will work on changing in my life for the upcoming year of 2012:

I Am Blunt
  • I say things often when it is not my place to say them. I am surprised I don't get myself in trouble often. 
  • If I have a problem, whether it is with a person, or an issue, I speak my mind without sensitivity. Though, I know some people appreciate my truthfulness, but still. . .I need to watch my mouth even if I do find it worth saying.

 I Am A Little Stuck Up
  • This one was hard. I had someone tell me in high school that they always though I was stuck up because I wasn't a friend to hardly anyone. It soon became clear to her that I wasn't really stuck up, but shy. 
  • This made me think that maybe I am stuck up. . .maybe not in ways you may think is more common with being stuck up, but in the way that I don't warm up to people easily, and I am sure I come off as being stuck up. I need to be sure I make people comfortable around me.

I Find Myself Envious
  • I think this is one of humans greatest downfalls. 
  • I don't think I will go into detail with this, but I can tell you that it is not another persons success, possessions, etc that I am envious about. I can tell you that it has to do with those close to me. I feel that I will someday be looked over as time goes by. This will make more sense in the next segment:

I Am Critical Of Myself
  • I will not go into detail with this, but just know I have reason as to why I am so critical of myself, I have reasons as to why my personal standards are to high. I know this is unhealthy for me, though I do think I have grown out of it in many ways, but have to keep working on it. I do need to add though: If I wasn't treated the way I was when I was younger, I think I would be fully stuck up, not just come off that way. I am in fact thankful that I was treated the way that I was, as it made me the person I am today.
  • When someone comes into my life that reminds me of the past, I get very critical as I begin to be quite harsh with myself as to why I am not more mature, or better at more things, and most of all, why I have such a hard time being a social, fun person with a catchy personality. 
  • I know that God loves me, Michael loves me, and my family loves me, and even with them, I am constantly trying to improve the way they see me. I want to make a name for myself so I constantly am criticizing my ways. I just need to thank God for who He made me, though I still need to try to improve myself, but not to where it hurts my self-respect. 


I am sure there is a lot more I can say about things I can personally improve on. I plan to ask for advice, and ask those close to me be honest with me when it comes to something they find I can change.  I would like to know my blind spots, and work them out.
This was the hardest post to write. I do not like to think of my bad qualities, but I do find it important to admit that I do have qualities that need changed. 


2 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the human race. I could put my name in the hat with the things you mentioned here.
    I write and maintain a spiritual blog which I have titled “AccordingtotheBook” and I’d like to invite you to follow it.

    ReplyDelete